Non-pharmaceutical therapies that have been found to be beneficial for depression:
- Exercise and movement
- Counseling, positive psychology
- St. John’s Wort 300 mg TID or 450 mg BID
- SAMe 200 mg BID, Titrate up to 800 mg BID
- Omega-3 Essential fatty acids with an EPA:DHA ratio of 7:1
- Regular exposure to sunlight
Preventing a Recurrence/Promoting Vitality:
- Maintain exercise and movement as a regular aspect of one’s lifestyle
- Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids (cold-water fish, vegetables, nuts, ground flax seed)
- Eat multi-colored whole foods
- Eat foods rich in B-vitamins (nuts, seeds, vegetables, brewer’s yeast)
- Learn to recognize emotions, where they come from and how to change perceptions towards more positive feelings
- Learn journaling, mindfulness meditation, loving-kindness meditation, the process of forgiveness
Please see the downloads section for more detailed clinician and patient information.
Disclaimer: This information is for general education. Please work with your health care practitioner to use it in the best way possible to promote your health and happiness.