BE AWARE some Links may be broken:
Bipolar Disorder and other serious brain diseases are an extreme challenge not only for the person afflicted, but for the entire family. It helps a great deal to be able to talk with other people who have, or are, going through the same things that you are – to share tips and local resources in coping, and to work together in getting the best possible treatment in your city or area.
Below are good sources for finding such a support group. Also listed are the National Mental Health Offices that should be able to help with regard to the governmental services for mental health. If there isn’t a support group in your area start one – the national offices of each of these organizations are usually more than willing to help!
For quick and immediate support – join in “our” forums @ www.bipolar4lifesupport.co !
In the USA
BipolarCentral.com – The number #1 site in the world devoted to bipolar disorder.
We recommend you contact your local office of NAMI:
- For a listing of local NAMI chapters check here: NAMI list of Local Chapters/Affiliates
- Some of the good local chapter web sites include: New York Metro NAMI, and California NAMI
- Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance ( previously called the National Depressive and Manic-Depressive Association)
- US Department of Health and Social Services: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration
- National Mental Health Association – Local Office Locator
- New York Support Consumer-Published Publication – New York City Voices
In Canada Join the Mood Disorders Society of Canada
Here is a good example of a more progressive approach to providing information to the public,: PsychosisSucks
International Support Organizations:
Manic Depression Fellowship – U.K. based support and services organization
International Society for Bipolar Disorders- requires a membership fee to join, but has some info available for free as well Mood Disorders Associaton of Manitoba, Canada
Dutch Association for Manic-Depressives (Netherlands) – site in Dutch only
Fundacion de Bipolares de Argentina (FUBIPA) – Spanish support organization and website w/ thirteen regional groups in Argentina
German Society for Bipolar Disorder – site in German only
For other countries please visit: Worldwide Support Organizations List
Visit the World Fellowship for Schizophrenia and Allied Disorders – it is a worldwide support organization for family-oriented support groups.